Friday, August 20, 2010

Discipline of the Lord

Reflection on Hebrews 12:5-7, 11-13

As I read Hebrews this week in my reflection for the homily one incident-event kept coming back to me. When I was about a sophomore in High School I remember being in the Hallways with some friends and I was using some unsavory type of language. Just thinking I was being cool, playing the part of the tough cool jock. One of my teachers heard me and called me over. Now, you know when you have been caught red handed, but I was still playing it cool, because I was cool. He asked me, "John are you ignorant or stupid, or both?" I didn't care for that. I felt offended to be called stupid and ignorant, a simple watch your mouth would have sufficed. He could see my anger. He then said to me, "John when you curse you are substituting the curse words for words you should know, so you are displaying ignorance, when you curse in public in the hallways of High School with adult teachers walking those same hallways you are showing your stupidity. John, find the right words, your better than that, have a good day." Wow was I left stunned.

No one likes that kind of correction or discipline. But I got a good taste of it. Even though at the time I was very upset about his approach, it worked, ever since that day over 25 years ago I still remember the incident vividly and it is one that helps me often now when I may slip on some occasion due to anger. My teachers words echo in my mind. He did me a great service for he spoke a Truth to me, to avoid using curse words, for I was better than that. That Truth came from the Holy Spirit. In that Truth also came reproof, correction, admonishment, and discipline, all which built up a good habit and good character.

So what at the time "seemed a cause not for joy but for pain . . . later brought the peaceful fruit of righteousness." Hebrews

Parents: when teachers or coaches discipline your children welcome it
children: when you are disciplined reflect on why, it's mostly for your good
All of us: the Lord will discipline us at times, let us be open to it and accept it humbly, for who knows us and takes care of us better than the Lord...Amen!

Fr. John

No comments:

Post a Comment