Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Reflection on Luke 14:25-33 (23rd Sunday in OT)

In being Christian we know that there is no resurrection without the cross. We also know that there is justice along with mercy, as well as hardships of all kinds coupled with joys interspersed throughout our lives. Basically, there is always good and bad (and by bad I mean both physical evil and sometimes because of our wounded nature even moral evil).

Today Jesus tells us, “Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me
cannot be my disciple.” Part of that cross is not only in dealing with the hardships of life, but also offering our suffering along with Jesus as penance for our sins. Yes, there is still sin in the world and not just sin somewhere out there, but right in here, inside of me. We do not like to talk about sin in ourselves, we do not like to talk about God being tough on sin, nor use language of penance, sacrifice, obedience, humility, or what is considered “old church” theology. The problem is that sin does not change nor does righteousness. What was a sin 2,000 years ago is still a sin today, what was righteous 2,000 years ago is still righteous today.

Being a Christian is not easy. Being a Christian means that the cross should be visible on my person. If it’s not then I am not a disciple. St. Paul calls us co-workers with Christ. He did not mean that we were co-workers only during the happy and good times, but even during the tough times, and in a very real way when I offer penance for my sins. St. Paul tells us that we must fight the good fight, and part of that good fight is to keep getting up, even when the cross weighs us down. I can hear him say, “Up good Christian on your feet, finish the race!” We need to say, “Show me Calvary, where is it so that I may go and suffer with my Savior – together.”

As people we look not to suffer, we look for that loveable God who is tender, merciful, and kind. That He is, no question about it, but we must remember what love is in its totality, and that means if we truly love we will lay down our lives for our friends, and if Jesus is my best friend and brother, then naturally, logically, and most of all because of love I will lay down my life for Him.

None of us wishes for bad times or to suffer, but they will come, either through my own fault, through the discipline of the Lord, i.e. St. Paul is given a thorn in his flesh by God, or through nature. Suffering will come, so what will we do with our cross? Will we pick it up or leave Christ to carry it Himself?

Fr. John Picinic

No comments:

Post a Comment