Monday, May 9, 2011

To be Quiet

From our 2nd reading for this 4th Sunday of Easter St. Peter not only comments on the attitude and disposition of Christ, but he left for us a model, a criteria, and a way that we too must follow. St. Peter says, “When he was insulted, he returned no insult; when he suffered, he did not threaten; instead, he handed himself over to the one who judges justly.” I will be the first to admit, this in no way is easy to do; rather, I would say we are almost programmed to respond when attacked verbally or to avoid physical harm.

It is obvious we should avoid physical hurt, i.e. harm that another may be looking to cause us. Jesus did not go around looking to be punished, that would be bizarre, if not unhealthy, but when called to the ultimate reckoning he handed himself over.

It is very unlikely that we will be called to witness to the faith with our blood. In our country we are free to worship and we can move about and preach freely, albeit with political correctness since Jesus himself was always politically correct and never upset the status qou. (sarcasm, but you got it, lol)

Our little martyrdoms are experienced on a much lesser scale, though opportunities present themselves frequently in which we can be another Christ. How many times in life are we insulted, stabbed in the back, thrown under the bus, betrayed, or ridiculed? The answer is probably a few times at least if not more than we care to remember. The question is, “Was I like Jesus, not returning an insult for insult?” Did I stay quiet? Hmmmh, I wonder? Again, probably not often. Somewhere deep down inside of this ego centered and driven man I surely had to defend my honor, my character, my person! I ask two questions, “Why did I have to answer back and how many times was I the one criticizing, insulting, stabbing another behind the back, or throwing them under the bus?

We never usually think of the harm we do to others when we are being harmed, no, we must fight back and it’s usually done instantaneously. Sometimes we will even justify our own critical nature of others. Did I ever stop to consider that they could possibly be holier than me? Sometimes I can’t see it because of my own blindness.

Jesus returned no insult, amazing! He was completely innocent and would have been justified not only to return a rebuke, but maybe even a harsh punishment to those who ridiculed and mocked him. The goal Jesus sets for us is a very serious one, love your neighbor as yourself. This not only means to be nice to them sometimes, or to be courteous on occasion, or to avoid them if they are difficult, rather it means to treat them as if they were Christ himself. Who am I hurdling the insults at anyway? Does Jesus love me more than them? Has Jesus given me the responsibility of putting people in their place, be it to insult them in the first place or to return one if insulted?

I think we’re better off letting Jesus sort it out. Our concern should be more about being kind to one another. If I always look at my neighbor as Jesus himself it may help me to remember not to throw insults, regardless of what the other has done. To respond in defending one’s honor and to do so compassionately would not be sinful, it would even be good, but to stay quiet is better, since to stay quiet is holy. To stay quiet is to be like Jesus. And who else would I rather be like than Christ himself?Help me Lord in my arrogance, myself self-righteousness and my pride, and help me to be humble, to be holy, and to be quiet in your presence! AMEN FJ

No comments:

Post a Comment