Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Thank You Brothers and Sisters

Add caption

As we watch and wait for the coming of Christ in the celebration of his birth St. Paul in his 1st letter to the Corinthians reminds us, “to rejoice always, and to pray without ceasing.”  We do this, rejoice and pray always, not just to await Christmas, but to await our ultimate meeting with Christ, when He calls us from this life to the next.  The Church provides liturgical seasons as reminders to pray and to prepare; the seasons reflect the rhythm of life and even death.
My dad passed away on Nov. 28th, 2011.  One never imagines their loved one dying, one never believes it will happen, regardless of when and circumstance, hence Jesus coming like a thief in the night was not exaggerated by him.  I think Jesus allows us to believe that we are safe and that it doesn't hit home in order to keep us sane and to live with enthusiasm and vigor, but when He does call that we will not be completely off guard, therefore in some way we need to reflect on death, but to do so not with fear, but with longing to meet our Lord.
           
My dad was not caught off guard, but was awaiting His master with diligence and more importantly with love.  Since I can remember my dad lived Advent, Lent, Ordinary Time, etc., always.  He prayed upon waking, would stop in his tracks at 12pm to recite the Angelus, he prayed the rosary often, read Scripture and the Catechism often, viewed religious programs and movies, attended daily mass and exceptionally loved Sunday mass.  One would think he was a priest.  In many ways he was, though not ordained he lived out his baptismal priesthood (royal priesthood) with all care and love.  He did so through prayer, devotion to family and friends, and in complete surrender to the Lord on the day of his surgery.
            
I want to take this time to thank the great and good people of Elmer, Woodstown, and Mullica Hill of the Catholic Community of the Holy Spirit Parish who have shown my family great kindness, generosity, and prayers during our time of mourning as well as rejoicing. “The Lord gives, the Lord takes away, blessed be the Lord.” (Job)  Your support and kindness has overwhelmed me and brings me to tears.  I will pray for you and I ask that you send me your prayer requests so that I may begin a 30 day novena for you all, please email me at fr.johnpicinic@holyspiritweb.org.


I also wish to express a big thank you to Fr. Tony, my pastor, Deacon Bob and Deacon Steve Theis, all who traveled a long way to be with my family.  I also thank Fr. Gio and Deacon Anton from St. John the Baptist Church in Fairview, NJ.  I thank all my brother priests and deacons from the Diocese of Camden who sent condolences to my family.  


I also thank all my dear Aunts and Uncles, cousins, and close friends who supported us and continue to pray for us, you are in my daily prayers. 

Looking forward to seeing you all this Sunday.  I pray that God blesses you all with abundant graces and good health.  God be with you!  FJ

No comments:

Post a Comment