Saturday, April 21, 2012

I Have My Mission


I returned last night from a wonderful and blessed time on retreat which was directed by Fr. Benedict Groeschel, CFR.  The retreat centered on Blessed John Henry Newman, not to be confused with St. John Nuemann from Philadelphia.  Each conference was based on a snippet from one of Newman’s many writings.  I would like to share one of those with you today and on which I will be preaching this Sunday as it relates to our call of being apostles.

On Tuesday morning Fr. Groeschel shared with us the following from Newman,
           
“God has created me to do Him some definite service; He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another.  I have my mission – I never may never know it in this life, but I shall be told in the next.  Somehow I am necessary for His purposes, as necessary in my places as an Archangel in his – if, indeed, I fail, He can raise another, as he could make stones children of Abraham.  Yet I have a part in this great work; I am a link in a chain, a bond of connection between persons.  He has not created me for naught.  I shall do good, I shall do His work; I shall be an angel of peace, a preacher in my own place, while not intending it, if I do but keep His commandments and serve Him in my calling.” (From Meditations and Devotions, Meditation on Christian Doctrine, Hope in God – Creator, March 7, 1848.)

John Henry Newman, born Feb. 21, 1801, died Aug. 11, 1890.  A convert from Anglicanism.  Elevated to Cardinal on May 12, 1879.  Pope Benedict the XVI declared Newman blessed on Sept. 19, 2010.

I ask you all to meditate on Cardinal Newman’s reflection.  It is powerful.  It helps us to look at our worth, our dignity, our calling, its importance and how we are not only connected to one another, but to God Himself.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment