Friday, June 14, 2013

Bringing Down the Hammer: Catholic or Not!



Lately, reflecting on the religious situation in our country, especially that of Catholics, I cannot help to think that we are trying to draw lines in the sand too quickly.  There is a large contingent, and sometimes I am a part of it, that wants to see the official Church take a hard line approach to those politicians who are Catholic and clearly denounce, contradict, or move away from official Catholic teaching.  Many wish that Bishops either give strict warnings or even have politicians (who clearly defy Catholic teaching) excommunicated.

Some of the politicians that come to mind are Nancy Pelosi, Andrew M. Cuomo, and Joseph Biden.  There are others, but these three are some of the more high profile Catholic politicians who have either wavered seriously or even been opposed to some Catholic teachings, especially abortion and same sex marriage.

Church officials have been criticized as being too soft, cowardly, as wanting to remain in the big circle of high end friends, and many other accusations.  I myself am torn here, part of me wants a hard line approach, either be Catholic or get out.  But then another part of me thinks, well if you draw a hard line in the sand and are forced to expel some members from the group then all communication will cease.  For why in the world if I am the vice president of the United States would I dialogue with you if you have excommunicated me, I may tell you to actually go to… 

Are we not supposed to exhaust all possible communication and efforts before we excommunicate people?  Restraint and patience are tough virtues especially on hot button issues.  I think Bishops like Cardinal Dolan who have to deal with politicians like Cuomo are being resourceful and tactful.  Dolan is no coward, but rather a very smart man, who realizes that before he brings down the hammer he has to do so knowing that dialogue will then end and in the process will lose dialogue on the poor, on education, on immigration, etc.  To do anything in the heat of the moment is foolish, rather one is asked to reflect and pray deeply, to calm oneself down, in order to think straight and not make rash decisions.


Do not get me wrong, the day may be fast approaching where we will have to draw the line in the sand and we will have to stand behind our bishops when they do so, but I don’t think it is here just yet or that we have exhausted all possible means for change and dialogue.  Though sometimes it does feel that way and I myself have blurted out, “excommunicate that clown!”  But that is emotion, not restraint, patience, and prayer.  I am not sure that society, especially our politicians will change for the better, they may not, but like Jesus we have to practice patience.  Think of how patient the Lord is with us, we are to do the same and only bring down the hammer (so to speak) when absolutely necessary because if you swing the hammer often eventually it will clunk you on your own head, ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment