Friday, February 21, 2014

Merciful and Gracious



I’d like to reflect on a couple of verses from today’s Psalm (103) in which the Psalmist writes,

“Merciful and gracious is the LORD, slow to anger and abounding in kindness.  Not according to our sins does he deal with us, nor does he requite us according to our crimes.  As far as the east is from the west, so far has he put our transgressions from us.  As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him.”

All of us expect the Lord’s mercy because we know that He is all good and compassionate.  Dare I say that we even take it for granted at times, not so much out of any evil impulse, but rather because of knowing who Jesus is.  Isn’t it wonderful to know that we have a Messiah, a Savior who is so patient with us and willing to forgive us for our worst offenses?
 
When we read Scripture or Church history we say that God forgives everything, except the great sin of believing that God’s grace is ineffective or not accepting it.  God forgave Moses for striking the Rock twice when instructed to strike it only once.  He forgave King David for conspiring to commit murder against Uriah and for his adultery with Bathsheba.  He forgave Solomon for his great pride and thirst for lust.  He forgave Peter for denying Him three times, St. Paul for persecuting Christians, and for St. Augustine’s life of wandering, fornication, and pride.  He forgives, this is clear.  This gives me and I hope you as well great hope that we can go to our Father for anything and everything.  We automatically expect to be forgiven, again, not because of me so much, but rather, due to who the Lord is, compassionate and merciful.

In our first reading, God says, “Love your neighbor as yourself.”  This means not so much that I only treat my neighbor nicely or that I like him.  The words “nice” and “like” are rarely if never used for describing relationship in the Bible.  Basically the question that arises is - can I forgive like God forgives?  How can I expect the Lord to forgive me and even come to take it for granted at times but I do not do the same for my neighbor?  Can I truly love my neighbor if I cannot forgive as Jesus did?
Whom have I not been able to forgive and why?  Am I better than that person\s?  Am I justified in withholding my forgiveness?  What if the Lord withheld forgiveness from me, how can I stand?  Maybe this week we can remember the words of the Psalmist; here they are once again,

“Merciful and gracious is the LORD, slow to anger and abounding in kindness.  Not according to our sins does he deal with us, nor does he requite us according to our crimes.  As far as the east is from the west, so far has he put our transgressions from us.  As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him.”

These Words are given to us to believe for ourselves in what Jesus does for us, but they only have value and meaning when I too can extend them to my neighbor.  AMEN!

The artwork is from the scene in Matthew Chapter 9:1-8, when they lower the paralytic down through Peter's roof and Jesus says, "Your sins are forgiven."  He is challenged by some who are there, stating, "that only God can forgive sins."  To prove that Jesus can forgive sins, he heals the paralytic which is harder to do than say, "Your sins are forgiven." 



No comments:

Post a Comment