Saturday, June 7, 2014

Holy Spirit: Convictor and Healer




Today we celebrate Pentecost, a receiving of the Holy Spirit.  We receive the Spirit for many reasons, to teach us how to pray, what to pray for, how to evangelize, teach, how to discern, to be convicted of sins, to ask for forgiveness, to be forgiven, and a slew of other reasons, especially in making the sacraments present.

I just want to talk about the Holy Spirit in one aspect and that is the forgiveness of sins which we receive in the sacrament of confession.  Jesus told His Apostles before His Ascension, “Receive the Holy Spirit.  Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”  This passage has to do with people either accepting or rejecting the Gospel, but it also has to do with the beginning of the ministry of Confession \ Penance \ Reconciliation.

As Catholics we believe in the sacrament of Reconciliation, many other Christians do not; as they believe a person can go directly to God and be forgiven.  We believe the same as Catholics, that at the moment a person pours out their heart to God they are forgiven, but justice demands equal weights – it demands a penance not for the sake of punishment but for what I call “The School of Learning” or “The School of Faith.”  I am sure others have called it this as well.

The story of St. Peter undergoing the first sacrament of penance can be found in Sacred Scripture, at least in its foundational form.  Here is that penance.  When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?”  He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.”  He then said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.”  He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” [Jesus] said to him, “Feed my sheep.  Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger, you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.”  He said this signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God. And when he had said this, he said to him, “Follow me.” Jn 212:15-19

The Holy Spirit helped St. Peter to recognize that he had denied His Lord three times; you know the story, when Peter was confronted after Jesus had been arrested, and three times he denied the man who made him the Rock of His Church.  This conviction that Peter felt I am sure was very painful, both spiritually and emotionally.  Peter wept, as the Gospels tell us.  It was in that moment when he wept that he was forgiven, no question about it.  However, justice demands that in some way we make up for our wrongs with the opposite virtues, i.e. if I tell a lie, I tell the truth; if I steal I make some sort or restitution.  Peter made a threefold betrayal; justice demanded he make a threefold affirmation.

When we go to confession we have the opportunity to make up the wrong, we come full circle as did St. Peter.  Again, this is not done to make people feel bad but to give people freedom.  Peter I am sure caught on by third time.  He knew what Jesus was doing.  In that whole time all Jesus did was affirm Peter, “Feed my sheep, tend my sheep, and feed my sheep.”  He affirmed him as a man and as the Rock of the Church.  His penance was complete.

The same holds true for the sacrament today, Jesus says, “Do not be afraid.”  Many people are either afraid or don’t believe they need it, the sacrament that is.  My friends if St. Peter needed a public confession who are we to say we do not even need a private one.  How many times have we betrayed Jesus by our actions and yet His mercy never gives out.  He calls us to make peace with ourselves, with the Church and with Him.  Sure we are forgiven as soon as we ask when that asking is done from the heart, yet Jesus asks we go that one more step as He did with St. Peter, to make restitution for our wrongs, to be reconciled to the Church, and to feel true freedom and affirmation as did St. Peter. 

I encourage you to return to the sacrament, for the Holy Spirit is the one who guides us to it, it is the Holy Spirit that has given to the Church to help us make a good confession as did St. Peter and through His power to bring the healing graces to the penitent.  The Spirit is given to us for many reasons, but let today be about the forgiveness of sins.  Amen!  FJ



No comments:

Post a Comment