Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Our cry and plea: Lord, Please Make Me Clean!



Lord, please make me clean!  This is the cry and plea we hear from the man stricken with leprosy.  Leprosy is no longer a common disease in the modern world, it is rare and only in remote places (for the most part) that do not have adequate medicine.  The disease also had big social implications because you were viewed not only as contagious but as cursed by God.  This man’s cry for help, however, is not just a plea to be healed from a physical sickness but of all sickness, especially from the idea that he was punished or cursed in some way, you see, sickness comes in many forms, not just the physical aspect.

Think in our own lives how many times we also have cried out to the Lord, “Lord, please make me clean, or Lord, free me from this sin, or bad habit, or vice that has taken hold of me.”  Sometimes in the Lord’s mercy things are taken away immediately, but I will also argue that sometimes in the Lord’s mercy things remain and stay for a while.  This is not because the Lord condones sin, but that He allows us to work along with Him, because if He was to take everything away immediately as soon as we asked we would cease to work, because the Lord would simply take care of every problem.  You can see the absurdity in that, just as no good parent would spoil their children so too with God.

Nevertheless when we go through trials, especially trying to overcome sickness, the sickness of sin it can become frustrating and embarrassing.  That is our own fault, it can also make us feel overly guilty, and that too is our own fault.  Virtue produces happiness, think of when you do something good, you feel a sense of joy, accomplishment, contentment when you do.  How do you feel like after you sin?  Well, you know the answer, not good. 

What then is the way out or answer to our dilemma of sin, of trying to be clean?  The answer lies in faith, not just in the knowledge of God but in truly knowing that God lives in me and that everything I need I already have.  It is also a living out of the Divine that is in me, done through works of virtue, prayer, and prayer of all forms, be it the rosary, Divine Office, meditation, yes meditation - we need more of that, a quiet place where we can become one with God, allowing Him to fully engulf us in His love and presence.


My dear friends, sin is a crutch, trust me I want it gone from me and I want it gone for all of you, yet I know the weakness that is in me, the weakness in all of us, but I also know of the strength and hope that is in me, that is in you, and that is the Lord Jesus.  Go to Him, just as the leper did and ask Him to make you clean.  Believe and live as it has already happened for you, that is faith.  Remember to ask each and every day for faith, to do so takes perseverance.  And as St. Paul says, “perseverance builds character, character virtue, and virtue holiness and salvation.”  All of which makes us clean, God bless you, FJ

No comments:

Post a Comment