Friday, March 23, 2012

Fifth Sunday of Lent: Apostles to One Another



I love today’s Gospel from John in which it says, “Some Greeks . . . came to Philip, and asked him, “Sir, we would like to see Jesus.”  Philip went and told Andrew; then Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus.”  (John 12:20-22, NABRE).  These Scripture verses remind us that we are apostles, called by name and sent by God.  It also shows the tremendous effect we have on one another.

When we talk about ourselves as Apostles, it almost sounds strange.  It’s easier to call ourselves “disciples” than it is to call ourselves “apostles.”  The reason for that is that we usually associate the word apostles with the “Twelve Apostles.”  Everyone else is a disciple.  The terms are not exactly interchangeable: a disciple is a student-follower type; an apostle is also a student-follower, but with one major difference – the person is also entrusted with carrying out a mission (or a calling – vocation).
            
God calls us by name (Is. 43:1) and then we are sent by God: “Jesus said to them again, ‘Peace be with you.  As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.’”  (John 20:21, RSV)  To avoid confusion, there are only twelve apostles who hold that title, “The Twelve”.  Their mission carried greater responsibility, for they were the new tribes of Israel.  Yet, all of us share in an apostolate.
            
Our main calls to being apostles are our vocations.  Many are called to the married vocation and live out their mission through family.  Some are called to religious and or ordained life and live out their mission in service to the Church.  And there are some who live a single life, either through choosing a single life or remaining a widow or widower in which they live out a life of service to the People of God.
            
The amazing thing is that none of us knows for sure which vocation we will choose when we are very young.  Our vocations are developed and nurtured by God through others.  As we mature and grow, hopefully our call becomes clearer and when we start looking back on our lives we can see and understand the impact that other apostles had on us.  Reflecting on my own call to be an apostle, which meant becoming part of Jesus Christ’s ministerial priesthood, was a road on which I met many people who helped me to come to that realization.  And not just a realization, but all of them actually helped prepare me for what lay ahead.

My parents had the greatest impact on me, as well as my brothers, extended family, teachers, friends, and coaches.  Probably none of them realized they were helping to form a future priest.  Nevertheless, they lived out their own apostolate in helping others.  As I reflect back on those who helped form me I cannot help but think of how one high school English teacher impacted my life in ways I would not even begin to understand until twenty or so years later.

So, today you will learn a little bit more about Fr. John.  Please bear with me and I hope that my story helps you reflect on both how others have helped you and also how you may have helped others.

My sophomore year in high school I was not doing well in my classes; it wasn’t  so much because I couldn’t as it was my lack of effort and knowing what I could get away with.  I loved high school for its social aspects and being able to participate in sports.  If it wasn’t for sports at the time I am not even sure I would have finished.  (I hope I am not scandalizing you.  If so, too bad.  Remember, it is not how you start but how you finish J).

My English teacher, Mr. P.J. Shelley, (many of you Cliffside Park High folks will remember him) was a great guy, kind, funny, witty, and a little mad (as in different).  Remember the casket in his classroom, the weird postcards, and the poster of Eraserhead?  Well, one day Mr. Shelley sits me down and tells me, “You are not going in a good direction; you are failing my class and maybe others.  There is a good chance you may be ineligible to continue your basketball season.”  I was not happy.   “If you want to pass my class you have to start doing something.  You are better than this John; I know you can do better.”  I asked him, “What can I do?”  Mr. Shelley challenged me to read more and if I read a certain amount each marking period, actually quite a lot – about 1600 to 2000 pages, he would give me a guaranteed “B,” no matter what else I did.  This was a little unorthodox on his part and some teachers who rule with an iron fist and by the letter of the law would find this method unacceptable.  Thank God Mr. Shelley could think outside of the box.  He asked me if I ever read any books before.  All I ever read was “The Life of the Mick” (Mickey Mantle) and Earl the Pearl Monroe when I was in eighth grade.  He got a chuckle out of that.  He handed me a book then that would change the course of my life.

I looked at the cover and it looked like a children’s book.  It was entitled, “The Hobbit,” by J.R.R. Tolkien.  I promised I would give it a try.  That evening when I got home from basketball practice I began to read it.  I couldn’t put it down.  I was done in three days.  Mr. Shelley interviewed me to make sure I read it and he was impressed.  He then gave me the remaining books in the story, “The Lord of the Rings.”  I read the entire trilogy in less than two weeks and I was back for more.  I read Terry Brooks, Stephen King’s entire catalog, Lawrence Sander’s deadly sins books, (I actually made one of Chief Delany’s , a character from those stories, sandwich heroes for me and Mr. Shelley), Jack London, Edgar Alan Poe, D.H. Lawrence, Kurt Vonnegut, Willa Cather, and many others.  I read, read, read!  And since those days, I am always reading something.

I did not realize the impact that Mr. Shelley had on me until just a few years ago.  I was reflecting on my love of theology and reading everything I could get my hands on.  Then it dawned on me.  The good Lord sent as an apostle, Mr. Shelley, to share some Good News with me, “Take up and read!”  Just as the angel told St. Augustine in the garden centuries ago, it was now Mr. Shelley encouraging me to “take up and read.” 

Mr. Shelley helped me change, not just by helping me get better grades in high school, but by planting a seed that would continue to sprout and grow into me becoming a priest that would love to read about his faith and help him to share the Good News with others.

I pray that you realize the impact that you can have on people and the impact that others have on you.  It all helps to mold us into whom we are and who we continue to become.  Jesus understood well the need for good human relationships.  He understood this because in our very nature, we desire relationships and it is within that framework that we share our mission\s.  You see, just as the Greeks went to Philip, then Philip to Andrew, and then both to Jesus so, too, did someone go to Mr. Shelley, then Mr. Shelley to me, and hopefully I to others so that all of us will go to Jesus.

Fr. John

No comments:

Post a Comment