Friday, June 22, 2012

John the Baptist



John the Baptist, he was a character indeed.  He came dressed in camel’s hair, ate locusts and honey, and lived in the desert.  He came out of that desert to announce the coming of the Lord, preparing the way for the Savior, Jesus Christ.  He does so not the least bit concerned about political correctness, etiquette, or a polished style if you will.  John the Baptist tells it like it is.  “We are all sinners, repent, the Lord is coming.”
Would we accept a person like that today?  John convicted his listeners about their sins, some accepted, some did not.  What would John sound like today if he came out of the desert to convict us; maybe he would say the following:

1)    We have forsaken the Lord’s day
2)    We have redefined marriage and have forgotten what is holy
3)    We live in fornication, how many have had premarital relations
4)    We cheat the poor and help the rich get richer
5)    We are war mongers, “we” meaning the entire world
6)    We have forgotten the sacredness of life, we destroy human life both in the womb and through executions
7)    We are spoiled, we have way too much
8)    We have become our own gods
9)    We “hate” or we hold grudges against family and friends
10)                    We justify ourselves, i.e. I’m good with God because I never killed anyone

I don’t know if I would be able to so readily accept someone like the Baptist, he was a tough man, and he penetrated right into the hearts of his listeners, some grew angry, others sad and convicted, and for the latter it led to repentance.  Who would I be?  Am I the war monger, am I filled with greed, lust, revenge, self justification?  No, not me, I’m good, “I never killed anyone.”

No one wants to be told they are bad or lacking, but once in a while Jesus sends a John the Baptist to wake us up!  Like St. Paul when it comes to sinners I consider myself first and foremost.  

I have to admit that when the World Trade Center was hit by terrorists I had vengeance on my heart.  Sometimes I also feel that I have too much, but I justify “my things,” with the following reasoning, I deserve this or that, it’s not that costly, others have it, etc.  And I have not been short on holding a couple of grudges throughout my life, especially with those whom I thought wronged me in a grievous manner.  

If John the Baptist approached me hollering, “Repent you sinner,” I may have thought he was crazy, just another religious fanatic.  But John was no fanatic, just a simple, holy, and lively man delivering a message.  I pray that when John or whomever convicts me of sin, that I humble myself.  I’d rather say sorry to the Lord then argue with Him on why I am right.

There is another part to this reflection and that is that we need more John the Baptists in the Church.  There are many who remain neutral to the Church so long as we preach in-house so-to-speak, then there are others who are Catholics who want to hear nothing of sin, just give us the feel good stuff.  Feel good stuff is ok once in a while, but we need to remember that we need forgiveness always.  We must also remember to preach what is right, no matter when or where, regardless if society says otherwise.  Do you think John the Baptist would retreat back to the desert if he felt society was not ready or willing?  No way, he came with the fire of the Holy Spirit.  We need to bring this fire into our own hearts and then share it with the world.  We celebrate the Solemnity of St. John the Baptist, we herald him as a great saint, relative of Jesus, and a martyr, but are we really listening to what he is saying, because his voice has never truly drowned out or faded away, you can still hear that man dressed in camel’s hair, looking disheveled, dirty, and a little wild, screaming, “Repent you sinners, the Lord is coming.” 

Fr. John

No comments:

Post a Comment