Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas: A Sharing of Quiet, Prayer, and the Contents of a Brown Paper Bag


           

           Christmas, what do I remember and hold cherish about this great holiday when Christ our Lord was born for us?  Last year right after Thanksgiving my dad passed away and last year’s Christmas seemed empty and my concern was for my mother.  This year seems a little easier, as time and our Good Lord begins to heal all loss and hurt.  But, what I recall and cherish the most is the greatest lesson I could have learned about Christmas and it was from my father.

          When I was a little boy my dad would leave me a special gift on my night stand so that when I woke up it would be the first gift I would see and the first gift I would open.  My father was born on a small island off the coast of Croatia; a little place called Susak or as it is called in Italian, Sansego.  My dad grew up poor, his dad was a farmer and wine maker so when Christmas came along my grandfather would fill paper bags with fruits, all kinds of nuts, and small chocolates for his children and leave those by their bed so when they woke Christmas morning they would have gifts.

          My dad did the same for me and my brothers.  And I could not wait to get into that bag when I woke up.  My dad already awake would be waiting for me in the kitchen.  I would rush in there and we would exchange a Christmas greeting and kiss and then I would sit at the table and share with him whatever was in the bag.  My dad use to be able to open the walnuts with his bare hands, crush them with his palm like they were paper and that would always make me wonder and look at him as being strong and manly.  We would not talk much just simply enjoy the quiet, the good fresh fruits, nuts, and chocolates.  Once we were done my dad would start to pray from his little prayer book and he would say the prayers out loud, he always prayed that way, and I loved to listen to him pray.  He would start off praying in Croatian, then a little Italian, and he would also sing Christmas carols.

          I loved those moments and cherished them as the greatest Christmas gift that I could have received from my dad.  Don’t get me wrong I loved to open my toys and games, but none of them every truly felt as good as when I sat with my dad eating the fruits, nuts, and chocolates out of a paper bag and then praying.

          I ask you, what is your Christmas like, what are your stories?  I imagine it is not as much to do with the presents as it is with spending time with your family and friends.  This is what Christ gives us this Christmas, two things, He gives Himself to us and then He gives us each other.  Remember Jesus when you go home, when you look at your spouse, your children, and children remember your parents, your siblings, and everyone in your family, they are the precious gift that God has given you, greater than anything you can wrap in a box or put in a card.  I will give you a little homework even though school is out.  When you return home either tonight or tomorrow, when you open your gifts, whatever is your custom take two to three minutes of quiet and prayer and reflect on Christ in the manger, with Mary and Joseph – the Holy Family.  Thank Jesus for His gift of grace to you and thank Him for your family, before you open any gift, because without Christ first, the other gifts have no meaning.

          Remember that this day unto you a Savior is born, Christ the Lord, our brother, our friend, our Lord and God right in our very homes, right in our very hearts, God bless you and Merry Christmas.  FJ

No comments:

Post a Comment