Friday, January 10, 2014

To Know For What It is We are Created



The greatest moment or moments in our lives are when we become aware for what we were created.  It is a grand moment of self realization.   It is also a moment of great affirmation as well as feeling of great worth.  These are not every day moments, such as, will it be black or brown shoes today, rather these are exhilarating moments.  It was a moment for John the Baptist; I am sure when he took hold of Jesus and dropped him in the water and then lifted him out of it that he realized, this is the moment for which I was created.

Jesus may have realized that moment long before in His own life.  And even for John there may have been more than one moment of affirmation and I think the same for us, there is more than just one moment, but there is always the grand moment.

Think of John’s life, as a young man off he goes into the dessert to live the life of a secluded hermit.  Scripture tells us he ate locusts and honey, that he wore camel’s hair for clothes.  He lived a life of penance and prayer as well as work.  I am sure he often asked, “Lord, to what end and for what purpose am I here?”  Is it just to work, fast, and pray?  That question was answered when the Spirit descended on the Lord after His baptism and all could hear, “This is my beloved Son.”  For John it was his great moment of self realization, “The Lord has called me to baptize His Son, to announce His coming, and eventually to give Him ultimate witness, by martyrdom.”  These moments are gifts.

I’ll share with you a couple of stories.  One is of my very good friend Dave, now a policeman for twenty years, a captain, married for over 10 years and two beautiful children.  Dave and I grew up together since grade school.  We shared many stories together, we trust in each other, we are more like brothers really, that no matter what’s going on, good, bad, or indifferent we can still talk and place great trust in one another.  A person is not often blessed with friendships like that so I thank God for my great friend.  Anyway, following Dave’s life I remember his moments.  I remember when he graduated from the police academy, I could see the look on his face and I knew he had achieved his dream.  I saw it again when he married his beautiful bride, Sandra.  I was privileged at the time as a seminarian to serve at his wedding mass and I remember a few times where our eyes met and I could see the smile on his face, a smile from the heart.  The greatest moment that I felt from him and obviously he could argue otherwise is when his first child, his daughter Melissa was born.  He called me from the hospital to let me know.  There was great excitement was in his voice.  We shared a great conversation about family, life, and great gifts, about moments where we realize for what we were created.  Dave ended the conversation by saying and don’t quote me but it was to this effect, “I could see God in the room, what a miracle and that I would be part of it.”  Dave realized his moment.

John the Baptist realized his moment, so too did my friend Dave.  I have also realized my moment a number of times one was actually with Dave in a bar having a drink, but that is another homily and I don’t feel like getting to emotional right now.  Sometimes with the Lord’s grace He allows me to feel His deep presence during the Eucharist.  I remember one time in particular, celebrating mass here, when I lifted the chalice as I was holding you all in prayer, that voice that’s in the heart, the voice of God said to me and affirmed in me, “It was for this that I created you, to be priest and sacrifice in my Son.”  The joy that I felt when holding that chalice up was heavenly joy.  I do feel the Lord’s presence at every mass, but not like that, that was that special kind of moment.

I ask you, what have been some of your special moments?  Have you ever felt God revealing to you the purpose of your life?  I pray that you have.  All of us have received the moment in baptism but we also receive more moments throughout our lives.  I ask that you reflect today on those moments and to give praise to God for having blessed you with them.  If you are not aware of those moments continue to pray that God will reveal His will for you.


Him

Remember, when God spoke, “This is my beloved Son,” it wasn’t only for Jesus to hear, He already knew it, it was for us to hear, so that we would realize that we too have been created for a purpose and that purpose is a beautiful one, and more importantly a purpose that is Divine.  God bless you, FJ

No comments:

Post a Comment