Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Gift of two Mothers



If you permit me I need to stray off topic a little or actually a lot today from our readings.  As you know today is a secular holiday in our country, we celebrate all of those who are mothers, be they mothers, grandmothers, great grandmothers, some even great-great or even if a woman who has been like a mother to a young person.  It is a day that means so much to us.  There is a very special connection we have with our moms.  Obviously we love our dads as well, no question but mama has that special place in our hearts.

When I think of mothers I usually think of two women.   I think of my own mother as I am sure you do as well.  There were two thoughts from today’s readings that reminded me of my own mother’s goodness; the first is when St. Peter spoke about patient suffering and when Jesus spoke about hearing his voice.

It is not just my mother I am sure, but all mothers who have suffered patiently.  I do not mean persecution or someone doing them harm.  Rather I mean the everyday grind and patience of a mother.  There are so many days when mothers sacrifice their own time, pleasure, and happiness for their children.  When I was young I did not understand this or even recognize it so much until the Lord finally starting breaking through this thick skull and I could begin to see and understand the sacrifices my mom made for me and my brothers.  She even bore our pains in her own body if I could borrow a phrase from St. Peter’s first letter.

When Jesus speaks about knowing his voice, think of how true this is also for mothers.  Since the time we are infants we have cried out “mommy,” “ma,” or “mama” when we were in need.  No matter what fear came upon us as soon as we heard her voice a sense of peace and calm would come over of us, knowing everything would be ok.  But it is not just when we were infants, this knowing our mother’s voice we recognize even as adults, it is a connection and bond that never goes away.

I believe the same two notions of patient suffering and knowing her voice also applies to our Blessed Mother Mary.  Reflecting on her life we can see that she pondered many things in her heart even when God asked or warned her of difficult moments ahead.  Think of the anxiety and or fear that she may have gone through when they couldn’t find a place for Jesus to be born.  Think of when the three kings arrive bearing gifts and one of those gifts representing burial, already pointing to the cross.  Think of when they bring Jesus to be presented in the Temple and Simeon says to Mary, “and a sword shall pierce your heart.”  Think of when they lost him for three days and find him in the Temple and he points to doing his Father’s will.  Finally think of the Cross as Mary walked every step with her son and watched the entire crucifixion, finally holding him in her arms.  These are great moments for our reflection on such a beautiful mother.

When it comes to knowing her voice we recognize her voice just as we recognize the voice of our own mothers and I dare to say even more so, because she is a mother to us in the order of grace, as Vatican II would say.  From the Cross she is given to us, “Son, behold your mother, mother, behold your son.”  As Catholics it is instinctual to us to call on Mary.  Think of how when we are in trouble the first words we say are, “Hail Mary full of Grace.”  They come naturally to us.  As Catholics we understand the familial relationships we have with all the saints, especially with that of the Blessed Virgin.

I leave you with this, remember your own mothers today, the one God gave you to raise you, but also remember the one who protects from above with her prayers and her guidance.  We know their voices, we know their patient suffering, so we simply say to them thank you and we love you.  Amen. FJ


No comments:

Post a Comment