Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Trust in Jesus' Promise




Today’s Gospel is often used at funerals.  There are two reasons for that.  Jesus tells us, “Do not let your hearts be troubled” and “I will come back again and take you to myself.”  These are words of comfort for those of us who are left behind, but they are also more than just words to help us grieve, I would say they are actually words to help us not to fear death, either for ourselves or in any one else.

We know that Jesus has conquered the second death, the death that would have left us separated from God unless He underwent His passion and resurrection.  The first death, however still remains (except for a very select few, i.e. Enoch, Elijah, and possibly Mary).

As a person and as a priest I have witnessed many funerals, of people I did not know, others whom I knew somewhat, others who were very close to me.  The one common thread that runs through all of them is the pain of loss.  This pain is natural and it’s due to love.  Our hearts ache when a loved one passes on.  Jesus’ words, however, should help us even when in deep pain over the death of a loved one.  The simple question that arises, is Jesus’ promise a good one, or put in a different way, do I trust His promise? 

The promise to us is, “I have prepared many dwelling places for you.”  Jesus has prepared a place in heaven for us.  The promise is solidified when He says, “I will come back again and take you to myself so that where I am you also may be.”  I believe that Jesus’ promise is credible, for anyone who would spread out his arms on a cross for me, a sinner, is a person who is selfless and a person who loves unconditionally, always!

Yet, we still fear death, both of the ones we love and even our own death.  In some ways that is a natural fear, since God has given us both the will and instinct to live, less we give up to easily.  However, that fear and even the pain of loss should never overwhelm us, because as Scripture says, “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” (1 Jn. 4:18)
You may think that is impossible, to have perfect love, it is impossible for man, but not for God to work that in us according to our cooperation in His grace.  The saints did not fear death, either of their loved ones or even their own.  St. Francis we are told welcomed death as a sister.  Many of the early Christian martyrs went into the coliseum with heads held high, the story of St. Ignatius of Antioch tells us he wrote in his letter, “do not hold me back from my crown, I will be food for the lions.”  In today’s reading we hear of our first deacons, St. Stephen in particular, who also gave up his life and echoed the words of our Lord, “Into your hands I commend my spirit” at his martyrdom.

I want to have faith like that, it is difficult at times because I too fear death, both of my loved ones and my own, part of me wants to live forever, then I realize as St. Augustine said, “death is our way out, our relief from this world which is filled with more pain than joy, who could bear it for an eternity.”  I also realize that the prize that awaits me is to see my Lord face to face, the Lord whom I have been serving to the best of my ability and also to be reunited with those who have gone before me.  All I need to do really is to trust the promise fully, to trust with an open heart that Jesus’ words are true and they are meant for me, “Do not let your hearts be troubled, have faith in God, have faith in me.  I have prepared many dwelling places for you and I will come back again and take you to myself so that where I am you also may be.”  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment